Foster Parent Info
This info is from the Indiana Department of Child Services. You can submit an inquiry and find out more at IndianaFosterCare.org.
Qualify as a Foster Parent:
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Pass a criminal history and background check including a fingerprint-based national history
- Demonstrate financial stability
- Own or rent housing that meets physical safety standards
- Provide medical statements from a physician for all household members
- Successfully complete pre-service training requirements
- Successfully complete first aid, CPR, and universal precautions training
- Provide positive personal reference statements.
- Participate in Child & Family team meetings or case plan conferences
- Support the case plan goal
- Participate in court hearings when notified
- Provide for the child's basic needs
- Maintain confidentiality
- Support the approved visitation plan
- Support the child's positive identification with his or her family of origin
Foster Children are:
- From various ethnic and cultural populations
- Between the ages of 0-18 (but can remain in care by choice after they turn 18)
- Resilient, worthy of love, and able to thrive in structured environments
- Not to blame for their circumstances
- Like any other child with passions, fears, special needs, etc.